Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Classes will Monday - Thursday 8:30 - 10pm. Monthly fee will include a membership to Hard Training Club Gym. See you all at the new space!
Friday, September 4, 2009
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Check your yahoo group email to find out where we will be meeting for the next UFC fight (probably Public Bar in Dupont, since it's convenient for everyone, but check your email before the fight to be sure).
School T shirts:
The new T-shirts are in. They are red with white logo and lettering. There are only a few left in Large or XL, so if you want one, see J. They are $20.
After winning two gold medals at Copa Nova, (for a total of five gold medals in the last two tournaments) Joaquin was promoted to Blue Belt. Congratulations! Now he can start terrorizing some higher belts at the upcoming tournaments.
Friday, July 24, 2009
Monday, July 20, 2009
Men's No-Gi Divisions
Advanced 205 and up
3 Hi-Woon Kang
1st Joaquin Azero
Beginner up to 139.9
2nd Benjamin Saunders
Novice Absolute 150-169.9
3rd Jordan Davenport
Men's Gi Divisions
Men's Blue Belt 160-169.9
3rd Tom Mooney -
Men's Blue Belt 205-219.9
2nd Hi-Woon Kang -
Men's White Belt 159-159.9
1st Joaquin Azero -
30+ Gi Divisions
30+ White Belt Up to 159.9
1st Joaquin Azero
Monday, July 13, 2009
Just a reminder that if any of you are planning on going to the next couple of tournaments, (the Submission Only tournament this saturday/sunday or the Copa Nova tournament), either as a competitor, or just for moral support, let us know in class so that we can figure out the carpooling situation. Good luck!
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Anyway, here is a message from Jason about it:
"Wanted to remind everyone that [Today] is Jody's last day...he's moving to Denmark because he's tired of getting beat-up by people smaller than him. Let's make an effort to have as many people present as possible to wish him a proper goodbye via bull-in-the- ring."
So, for those of you that read this blog, but haven't been coming to class regularly, see you tonight!
Friday, May 15, 2009
Advanced Children No Gi
2nd Place Rael Griffin
Advanced Teen No Gi
2nd Place Dean Szollory
Monday, May 4, 2009
Friday, May 1, 2009
1) wear a long sleeve rashguard and your gi pants. In the summer people tend to want to roll no-gi, but rolling in shorts and a t-shirt puts more of your skin in direct contact with the mat.
2) if you are sick, stay home. No one wants your flu! you might feel well enough to go to work, but don't roll with people unless you are completely well. Some people in class have babies at home, so be considerate. If you are sick, feel free to watch class and take notes if you want, or ask someone to go over what you missed when you get back.
3) take a shower as soon as you get home. Simple soap and water will kill the staph virus, and it takes a couple of hours for it to take hold, so you have plenty of time to wash your hands/take a shower.
4) care for the mats. we disinfect the mats before each class, but if you walk off the mats barefoot and then walk back on, you will track germs on it. Have some flip flop sandals that you can put on when you leave the mat so your bare feet don't touch the floor in other parts of the gym.
5) bandage up your cuts. staph infections usually happen when you have a cut and it comes in contact with something that is not sterile. keep your cuts bandaged when you are rolling. If you don't have bandages or tape, ask someone in class for it (usually several people have some).
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Friday, March 20, 2009
Men's No Gi Intermediate under 149.9 lbs
Andrew Elwell - Bronze
Men's Gi Beginner under 129.9 lbs
Benjamin Saunders - Silver
30+ No Gi Division: Intermediate under 199.9 lbs
Peter Sanchez - Silver
30+ Gi Division: Intermediate Under 180 lbs.
Peter Sanchez - Bronze
Monday, March 16, 2009
US GRAPPLING: SUBMISSION ONLY III April 25th, 2009. This is a non-traditional tournament that doesn't features points. All wins are by submission. Fights can be anywhere from less than a minute, to an hour. You can get information on registering by clicking here.
COPA NOVA: SATURDAY MAY 9Th: The Folks at Copa Nova have just announced that they are hosting another tournament on May 9th in Ashburn Virginia. You can get information on it by clicking here.
If you're interested in coming down to our club for a free introductory lesson, or just to watch a class, send an email to email@example.com to set up an appointment.
Friday, March 6, 2009
General admission tickets are only $25 at the door, seating in the general admission area is first come, first served. You can buy tickets in advance online for a few bucks more, but that doesn't guarentee you a good seat, just a seat. You can get better seats for about $45.
Here's the website and the fight card:
Google maps page for the place:
FYI, we are not getting anything from the promoters of this or any other event that we have mentioned on here. The reason we plug this stuff for free is so that these events do well and hopefully more promoters will decide to put on events in the area. We also know that sometimes it's hard for you to find about local tournaments or MMA fights because they are not widely advertised, so please check back here periodically (or subscribe to the RSS Feed) and we will keep you informed about future events in the area.
If you know of an event that we haven't menitoned on here, send us the details at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will post it for you.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Helio Gracie, who founded Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with his older brother, died recently. The influence that he had on martial arts can't be overstated. He lived into his 90s and still practiced constantly. In his book Jiu Jitsu University, legendary 6x world champion Saulo Ribeiro tells about how he rolled against Helio, but couldn't defeat the old man because Helio's defense was so strong. His defenses were so well honed that Saulo couldn't find an opening to attack and submit him.
He was small in stature, but well known in his youth for taking all challengers and routinely defeating opponents much larger than him. Here is a tribute video that was done for him.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
The Good news is that there are two tournaments within driving distance in march: One in Maryland and one in Virginia.
The Bad news is that they are both on the same day.
1) The folks at Mike Moses' school will be host another MISSION SUBMISSION on March 14, 2009 in Frostburg MD. This is a traditional BJJ tournament with both Gi and No Gi divisions. It's only $50 for one event and $10 for each additional event. Very reasonable compared to some other tournaments.
2) The folks at US Grappling are putting on the DOMINION GRAPPLING CHAMPSHIONSHIP 3 event on March 14, 2009 in Ashland VA. This is $50 for one event and $75 for unlimited events. Unlike their previous Submission Only tournament (with no time limits), this event will use time limits and be set up like a traditional BJJ tournament.
Friday, February 6, 2009
Monday, February 2, 2009
Thursday, January 29, 2009
You should devote at least a couple of days of week when you are not training to doing some exercises on your own. If you are giving it 100%, then you don't need to work out for 2 hours. Just look at what you can do in 60 seconds.
FYI, this is legendary MMA fighter "The Gracie Hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
In other news, Everyone did really well at the Copa Nova Tournament this past weekend. I will post the results as soon as they are available.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Also, if you haven't signed up for the email list, send an email to Aaron and he will add you to the listserv so we can keep you in the loop about what is going on at the club. We plan on meeting up somewhere this weekend to watch the UFC fight. If you don't sign up for the email list, then you will probably be drinking alone. Nuff' said.